Listen Live
HomeCampbell RiverNorth Island College Indigenous students take a school trip to New Zealand

North Island College Indigenous students take a school trip to New Zealand

A group of Indigenous students from North Island College (NIC) were given a chance to travel across the globe and access a unique learning experience. 

10 students and two faculty members were joined by five students and an instructor from Nova Scotia Community College to learn about Māori culture in New Zealand from May 3 to 18. 

It was also an opportunity to learn more about themselves and their culture. 

NIC student Jackie Jack was one of the participants in the trip, and said it was difficult but worthwhile and educational. 

- Advertisement -

“It gave me hope. It gave me inspiration – more of the strength we need to fight the fight that we need to fight.” 

The trip had two courses the students had to take, an Indigenous Leadership course called “Visions, Values, Philosophies, and Ethics”, and a Kwak’wala immersion course. 

Students completed presentations about their experience and finished final assignments that align with Calls to Reconciliation and the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP). 

The group spent most of their time in the Waikato region but spent time in Auckland and even included radio and T.V. interviews about their experience. 

- Advertisement -

Student Steve Clari said the experience was very eye-opening for him when talking with the Māori people. 

“They were also punished for speaking their language. I just assumed we were the only ones who had the language and culture beaten out of us, but the Māori were just the same.” 

The students realized how important the trip was and want it to continue in the future so other students can experience what they learned. 

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -